[Harp-L] RE: Hohner in the Local Marketplace

In the past I have bought about half of my harps retail for two reasons, (1)
to actually hear the harp on the test box before I commit to it and (2) to
maintain friendly relations with the local music stores that help us with
club events, etc.  Hohner's new packaging kills reason 1.

Also, since I write a harmonica review blog and field questions from about
harmonica quality and availability, I do keep track of what is available in
the main street stores in Eastern Oklahoma.  Here in Tulsa, Hohner has by
far the most shelf space with Lee Oskar running a far second. The really
scary part of this is that at some main street stores out in the country,
their first line Hohner harp may be a Hot Metal or a Big River and will
probably be the Blues Bender soon.  They don't even bother to stock MB's or
GM's much less the higher end stuff.  Has to be price.  But, I can see their
point.  Nobody out there is going to walk in and impulse buy of a forty
dollar Marine Band.  That is serious money to a guy who makes minimum wage
as many of their customers do and if they are a serious harp player they
will probably buy online anyway. But, one local chain has recently began
stocking Suzukis and Huangs, partially in response to local demand and (I
suspect) partially in response to continual Hohner price increases.  Their
Hohner prices were simply not competitive and they knew it.  As a matter of
fact, I actually had one of their salesman push Suzukis the other day when I
asked for another brand.  Did a good pitch of Suzuki features and benefits
too.  And, he knew the Huang product line.  That was a first here in Tulsa.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK