Re: [Harp-L] curious

jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Ever wonder why you see any harp jam these young kids can play ninety miles
an hour, but all the heavy hitters from the past (Sonny Terry the exception)
played at a relatively staid pace?

to which Garry replied:

because those heavy hitters weren't influenced by the foremost
example of harp in popular music today, blues traveler?

At first glance I thought oh another snarky sarcastic answer from Garry but I was wrong. This is actually wise beyond belief. Music has a cultural context. The context has shifted since the late 1940's and through the mid 60's. John Popper's time has actually been here and gone too. Most people listen to the music of their adolescence for their entire lifetimes.

On another sadder note. Kate Mcgarrigle died today. There were snippets of harmonica on the sisters' recordings. Lessons in harmony. Maybe not so popular but definitely influential in certain circles. An immense talent.

Might could be I was always missing the point. Perhaps Garry's answers were always deep and just beyond my grasp? fjm