[Harp-L] tongue/pucker: false dichotomy (and awful band name!)

I just don't believe that harp players of at least moderate competence - I mean with at least a few years' experience and some return calls for gigging - play only EITHER TB or "pucker" (pursed?)

No, I bet they play with their tongue on and off the thing alot, depending on chording and effects.  Sure, some play TB (almost) 100% - and don't even mention u-blocking, you physical freaks! - but those of us that often purse our lips for single notes use our tongues alot, many even un-self-consciously, and I am pretty sure TB'rs often lift their tongue from the "fretboard."

TB is clearly vital as a technique choice, like learning how to play chords on a guitar, and as a beginning technique it's great for quickly getting to clean notes and chords, but I doubt many competent players play all one or the other, any more than guitarists play all chords or single notes.  Even BB plays some chords occasionally!

Dave "don't point that thing at me!" Fertig