Re: [Harp-L] truely advanced diatonic workshops?

 Augusta has truly been a life changing experience for so many. My life changed as a student and developed as a teacher there for many years. However, no matter how geared toward "advanced" any of the course offerings there were (mine included), the reality was that the courses were really intermediate - mostly because of the attendees. I've never seen advanced students attending there aside from the Golden Age of Howard Levy's Adv. Harmonica Week.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Rumbaugh <jrumbaug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, Jan 17, 2010 10:19 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] truely advanced diatonic workshops?

This year, Augusta Blues week in Elkins, WV, will have Allen Holmes as an instructor. One of his classes is listed as an advanced class. I have been the last 2 years and consider myself an "intermediate plus" player, though not advanced. The course description sounds more advanced than what I have experienced the last 2 years. The other three returning teachers are Joe Filisko, Phil Wiggins, and Grant Dermdy. I have left each year feeling like a better player than when I arrived. It's almost a religious experience.

Course description from the web site

We'll cover doublestops, overbends, and playing standard bends with good intonation. We'll play through the blues scales in straight harp, cross harp and 3rd positions. We'll also explore other positions and play through some transcriptions of blues harp greats such as George 'Harmonica' Smith and Rice Miller. Accompaniment will be provided to practice improvisation over various blues chord changes. Voice leading will be introduced as a means of weaving melodies through chord changes and creating harmonic tension and resolution.