[Harp-L] Re: Casual Harmonica players... (Larry Marks)

"Room To Move" without John on harp? I don't think so.

Dave

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:37:10 -0800
From: Larry Marks <larry.marks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Casual Harmonica players...

I still have a big problem with musicians who think of the harmonica as
a toy noisemaker that doesn't need practice. I am constantly amazed at
the high regard in which perfectly miserable players (who should know
better) are held.

For example, a bluesman whom I otherwise respect greatly is John Mayall.
Mr. Mayall cannot or does not want to play harmonica. In any event, he
shouldn't.

That having been said, I agree that many harmonica players, with their
inferiority complex switched on full, play far too much. Inferiority
complex? Sure. I suffer from it as well. I know that our instrument is
regarded as a toy by many and I feel the constant need to prove that it
is a real instrument. I have to work hard to keep myself from playing
too much.

   -LM