Fwd: [Harp-L] Re:Questions for Chromatic Players

On Jan 16, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Rex Platner wrote:

Hello,
Haven't been on the list for while but...I play everything on my "C"
Chromatic (When I'm playing the Chromatic) in all keys. Praticing the circle
of 4ths/5ths is a good way to open the possibilities. It seems many people
on the list don't. I played with a big band last night and they seemed
surprised I didn't change harps between "Girl From Ipanema" and "Satin
Doll". I guess they have a guy that has a whole case of chromatics. It is a
challenge at first but in MHO it opens many musical doors and also seems
more like a real instrument and not a toy. Which is the way most people
think of our wonderful instrument. I haven't used the other keys so maybe I
should try them before I put my 2 cents worth in :) Just my opinion. Rex P

What I think happened here is that the band was used to players who were in the home key of whatever chromo they picked up. So, if they wanted to play in F, they needed an F chromo, and if they were in Bb, they used a Bb chromo. However there are a few players who DO carry various keys but not for that reason. I, for example will use an F IN F..resultant key Bb..but THAT Bb sound won't be quite the same as Bb played on a C. For C I may use a G played in F OR an F played in G. The one I use the most is a Bb played in F (for Eb) or D (for C). I find this especially interesting for minors. Example: Dm on a C sounds like Dm, BUT Em on a Bb ALSO sounds Dm...BUT it won't sound the same. One is a draw key and the other is not. Same key, different sound. It gets's pretty involved. But then I was always a crazy kid.
.

smo-joe