Re: [Harp-L] short and long motion of slide

On Jan 15, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

In my experience, straight-tuned sliders with smaller holes work just as well on the low notes of a 64.

The real reason, in my view, for the cross-tuned slider is that the holes are farther apart and therefore easier to stamp without wrecking the material.

A-Haaaaaaaa, you win a cookie. AND, it would allow MORE stamp outs PER die. Then it becomes a matter of trying to cut a very ripe tomato with a very dull knife.

The longer the slide and the more holes stamped, the more area that can be warped or otherwise damaged in the stamping process.

Inasmuch as the material is thin to begin with and also that brass isn't the most structurally molecularly well knit alloy.

Cross tuning allows the stamped holes to be spaced much farther apart, allowing more solid material between stamping points.

Sayeth the wizard...can you dig it.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa