[Harp-L] re: bassman non reissue

I have a 68 or 69 silverface bassman head. I used a tonebone tube replacer

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com

to drop the wattage down to 9 watts and it uses el84s instead of 6l6s the
kit cost $120.00. You just stick the el84s and the adapter into the old tube
socket. I found when I did this a hole needed to be drilled so the tube
could fit. I got an amp tech to do this. I run this amp through a carvin  SX
G2X12

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/sxseries.php

So the amp head cost $75.00. The tonebones cost $125.00 and the speaker cab,
a stand, and a cover cost $300.00. I spent $35.00 on a pink Spectraflex
speaker cable--do not use guitar cords as speaker cables--you can blow out
your amp.

http://www.spectraflex.com/

So you spend some money and you've got a jury rigged system but the
sound...my lord have mercy! Thick heavy wall of sound, best I've ever heard
for harp and I've tried a blackface deluxe, blackface twin, two or three
hand built maps, and an ancient champ. Also the Carvin speaker is light and
the advantage of a head and speaker is you can make two trips. My back likes
that. It's hard to play at living room level but it gets loud quite nicely.
Not loud enough for big outdoor festivals but okay for bar gigs.

If you want reverb, try the $15.00 Danelectro echo.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html