[Harp-L] Re: hole sizes

vincent <vincent.fx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<Could you tell me if any other hole size variations in the other
<Hohners (like the Special 20s, which I was considering next)?  And is
<my concern on this warranted?

I carry a lot of different makes and models of harps in my case.  There are differences in the tone, responsiveness, volume, etc. between makes and models, but I never even think about the hole sizes when I switch from one to the other, even with relatively big differences like the Hohner model 360s (the 14-hole jobs).

After you've been playing for a while, you make the minor adjustments required automatically, without thinking about it.  You just pick up the key and tuning you need for the tune and play.  So try any harp you like, and play as much as you can, and after a while the problem will go away on its own.

The biggest adjustments I've had to make are related to the size of the covers, not the distance between the holes.  Turbolids on Special 20s sound and play great, but that big bulb at the low end takes some getting used to, especially if you play a lot of wide intervals.  It took a long time to get used to the big mouthpiece on the CX12 chromatic, too.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter