[Harp-L] Modes, keys and positions (breath patterns correlated)

Geoff, You ask the following:

OK , really dumb question, please excuse my ignorance, but
is a "position" not a physical location, as in:
"position your lips to blow on hole 4"
but rather the sequence of blowing and drawing as one moves across the harp?

Let's take at random say Gershwin's "Summer time".
In what position is it best played, on which harp?

My answers:

I have never been able to correlate a harmonica "position" with a physical location on the harp. I mean, i know where to locate the degrees of the scale on which holes in which position, but there's no numerical correlation between the designation of the position and which hole you use to start the scale in that particular position.

Personally, I would use Fifth Position to play "Summertime" but a lot of players use Third. it can be played in either of these positions.

When i play, i will use First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Twelfth positions, depending on which position i need to use in order to be able to play on a particular tune. I am more comfortable in some of these positions than others but I can and do use any of them as the need arises. However, I don't OB.

Btw, there are certain breath patterns common to these positions, which are useful to know:

The major pentatonic scale in FIRST position is the same breath pattern as the minor pentatonic scale in FOURTH position. Same notes, same intervals, just start on a different hole.
The major pentatonic scale in SECOND position is the same breath pattern as minor pentatonic scale in FIFTH position. Same notes, same intervals, just start on a different hole.
The minor pentatonic scale in THIRD position is the same breath pattern as the major pentatonic scale in TWELFTH position. Same notes, same intervals, just start on a different hole.

So, if you learn these 3 breath patterns and learn the blues scale in second position, you should be able to get around well enough in 6 different positions to be able

improvise if you've got a good enough ear.

JP