RE: [Harp-L] Market for men singing jazz standards

Bill posts:
> The recent talk about singing has got me thinking a bit. What do people
> think the market is for men singing jazz standards, if you want to think of
> yourself as a jazz musician rather than a razzamatazzy showman if you know I
> mean?
>
> It seems to be accepted that jazz singers are women and i've played with a
> few and if it's not too presumptuous some that basically ain't as good as me
> which is really frustrating.  Although obviously there have been some great
> male jazz singers, Parker, Davis and Gil Evans et al evidently thought so on
> Birth of the Cool, and i've just been listening to Earl Coleman singing on
> an album called Bebop Revisited vol 1 original 1947-48 but was it just the
> case that it was an age when crooners were fashionable, so male singers
> worked back then?
>
> I like Chet Baker's style of singing, cool and understated and a jazz
> instrumentalist who sang, which as a harmonica player is what I think I'd
> feel more comfortable with - apparantly he ran into trouble with the jazz
> police for it though.
>
> What do we think?

Bill-

there are many male jazz vocalists out there -check out one of my
favorites, Kenny Washington: http://www.kennywashingtonvocalist.com/

I like Chet's thing too, follow your heart--the jazz po-lice are really just a bunch of rent-a-cops with no guns or authority.

Harp content: I played a harp solo while playing in big band supporting Kenny.

Michael Peloquin

http://www.b-radical.us

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax