[Harp-L] RE: Learning to sing

Singing is a rather odd beast, and in many ways quite different than playing an instrument. Because of the proximity of the ears to the mouth (as well as the existence of the tone chamber that is the oral cavity,) we all tend to hear our own voices much differently than others hear us. Case in point: almost everyone cringes the first time they hear a recording of themselves, whether singing or just plain speaking. We all assume ourselves to be more naturally resonant than we are.

Like a few others have mentioned, when I was younger I too was convinced that although we humans could improve on our instrument(s) through practice, when it came to vocals, one either had it or they didn't. Listening to Aretha Franklin sing when she was 14 is scary, and tends to reenforce the false concept of vocal ability as solely God-given and not really improvable. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Of course, some folks are just plain blessed with incredible pipes. No amount of training or practice is going to make this fool sound like Ray Charles. But that's OK. The objective shouldn't be to sound like anyone else, anyway. The objective should instead be to sing as well as you yourself are capable.

Speaking for myself, when I first began singing 45 years ago, I had an unfortunate tendency to hear the notes I was aiming for rather than the notes I was actually producing. It was only after recording and playing back the recordings that I could hear when I was flat or sharp. Strange that it worked that way -- my ear could instantly hear when a guitar or harp was out-of-tune, and yet when it came to vocals, I simply did not hear that I was off until playback. This was a very humbling lesson.

Over time however, through decades of singing and listening, I can now instantly hear when I'm a tad off. This doesn't necessarily mean I can correct myself on the fly -- sometimes the pipes just don't cooperate fully -- but it does serve to illustrate that through ear-training, one can put oneself in far greater control over the beast that is the voice.

Yes singing lessons would've probably helped, but I never availed myself. I'm certainly no great singer now, but my voice has improved exponentially over the years simply by recording and listening closely to the recordings. That exercise, in and of itself, contributes to ear-training, and enables one to eventually truly hear what one is producing... and therefore further enables one to make whatever adjustments might be necessary. The LPs I cut with Kenny in the late 70's/early 80's now make me cringe -- not at the guitar or at the harp, but at the vocals. Fortunately they've never been reissued on CD so I don't have to be too embarrassed. :)

Anyhow my recommendation (FWIW) to any aspiring singer would be to tape all your rehearsals and/or gigs, listen back to the tapes and familiarize yourself with your own voice -- warts and all. The more you do this, the better you will sing. Guaranteed.

Cheers to all and Happy New year,
Tom
http://www.tomball.us