RE: [Harp-L] II V I - the diminished scale

Winslow taught us:
> The Db diminished scale is the same as the E, G, and Bb diminished
scales - each of them one semitone above the chord roots of C, Eb, Gb
and A.

> This scale contains aall the notes of all four
7th chords, plus some aditional notes. For instance, if you took this
Db diminished scale and named the scale degrees relative to the roots
of the C chord, you'd get

> Root (C), flat 2 (Db) flat 3
(Eb), major 3 (E) raised 4 (F#), fifth (G), sixth (A), flat 7th (Bb).
The same is true for chord roots Eb, Gb, and A.

Great job 'Slo -- however, I think that if we are going to the trouble of learning to speak theoretically, then we should take the next small step and name the scale degrees a bit differently, ie:
1, b9,#9,3,#11,5,13,b7

this explains these scale tones functionality more in terms of the related chordal harmony.

This scale is a piece of cake on a spiral/diminished tuned harmonica (or on a saxophone!)

Michael Peloquin

http://www.b-radical.us

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax