Re: [Harp-L] II V I

On Jan 9, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Mick Zaklan wrote:

You know, for years I've been hearing about how essential it is to know
how to play this chord progression. That it encompasses many jazz tunes and
standards. But everytime I ask a musician to name an actual freaking tune
that follows this progression, all I get are vague answers. "Oh, there are
many tunes" or "you've heard it a million times" or "you'll know it when you
hear it". Or "you've probably played it before, you just didn't realize
it". I'm beginning to believe that it's a hoax.

Ha ha ha ha ha, I fell out of my chair, rolled out the door and down the street and was promptly run over by a garbage truck (how appropos), and flowers and cards can be sent to 'Our lady of harps', Port Charlotte Fl.

If I pick up a C harp and attempt to string a few bars together playing
in the keys of D, G, and C, it makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't
imagine what sequence these chords or keys would be organized into and what
sort of popular, well-known melody would fit over it.
So, somebody please give me a straight answer. Name a tune. Because I'm
telling you, I've asked around about this and I'm tired of hearing "oh, that
progression is all over the place".

Mick Zaklan