RE: [Harp-L] Minor II V I

> From: michael rubin

> After an afternoon of exploring, I have come up with these sounds that
> do not make sense with my understanding of the theory:
>
> During the Dm7b5, Eb, F#, A and B sound good to me.
> During the G7Alt D and F# sound good, as well as the C already
> discussed.  C# Sounds bad.
> During the CmMaj7 Ab, F# and Bb sound good.
>
> Any clues as to why?  Thanks for all of your help so far.

Michael-
It doesn't make sense-- I would keep listening so that my ear was trained/tuned to these chords.
on Dm7b5 F#,A & B should not sound good as they are tension notes 1/2 step above the chord.
--the best non chord tone for this chord is the 11th(G) -it is more often the melodic note over the -7b5 (half-diminished) chord in many standards.

G7Altered -- all notes in Ab (jazz) Melodic Minor should sound good --but not C,D nor definitely F#.

CmMaj7 --chord tones C,Eb,G,B should sound good(of course) plus D & A --thus, C Melodic Minor

Harmonica content-- simply flat that A(6th) in the C Melodic Minor and that gives you C HARMONICA MINOR.

And: I would love it if Smokey Joe would demonstrate all of this more often playing his harmonica n video! That way he won't be starting Vapo-Rub fires in his wife's kitchen!

Michael Peloquin

http://www.b-radical.us

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax