Re: [Harp-L] Minor II V I

Why does C sound good when the chord note is B and it should clash?

Could be because the tune is in the key of C, and because you're holding the note through a sequence of three chords, the first and last of which contain C:

D half-diminished7 (contains C) -to- G alt (where C should clash) -to- Cm, where C is the root.

If you try playing G over all three chords. I suspect you'll hear a similar result.

The fact that you're playing the C on a harmonica while the potentially clashing note (B) is sounding on other instruments could play a part. If you sounded out both the chords and the melody note on a piano, you'd probably hear the clash.

By way of contrast, try this:
  Over the D chord, play C.
  Over the G chord, play either B or Db
  Over the C chord, move back to C

After doing this a few times, go back to playing a C over all three chords and listen to the difference.

Another interesting activity is to find all the notes that are common to all three scales. The explore those notes in these ways:
   Play each note individually over all three chords
   Play the notes as a scale (I think you'll find its a familiar type of scale) and make up licks with it
   After you get grounded in the common-note scale, start adding notes than belong to the appropriate melodic minor scale for each chord as it occurs.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa