[Harp-L] Re: band drinking, minimal harp content

Back in the dear, dead '70s, I was the bass player in a band called Jack Ruby and the Romantics ... We played a private party gig and since it was a friend's party, we had a few drinks before the first set ... it was a draggy set (though I think no one but us noticed). Part of the problem seemed to be that our rhythm guitarist was coming down with some sort of cold or flu and feeling really lousy ... so of course at the break we adjourned to the back yard and had some nose candy ... the guitarman got four big lines ... we went back and played a smokin' set in which tempos constantly increased ... Midway through the second set the guitarist essentially had a meltdown and had to go home coughing and wheezing ... we hardly noticed ;^) ... so much for using blow as a cold medicine ...

Another party gig, same band, the lead guitarist/singer included a bottle of whiskey in his gear ... we all took a couple hits, but he just kept on glugging ... we played a great gig and to this day he has absolutely no memory of it ...

As for me personally, I've found that drinking more than one beer or one glass of wine before a gig throws off my concentration and timing so much that it just ain't cool. As for any other substance indulgences, even worse. I prefer to drink water or juice and stay straight when playing.

Of course, MMV ... we had a harp player in another more recent band who played best after four beers ... no more, no less ... we used to assign our lady singer to monitor his pre-gig intake to be sure it didn't go over the limit ... any more than four and he was absolutely worthless as a player but didn't care ...

The main facet of playing I find overindulgence affects is rhythm and tempo ... and I tend to think teetotaling is the best course ... just my .02 worth.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA