Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] valve problems! need help!

On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:03 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Good info from both of you!

quoting Michelle and Smokey (much snipped):

"You just can't leave a stone unturned, can you JoJo? You oughta write a
book, "Harmonicas For The Incurably Curious" or "Harmonicas For The
Inveterate Tinkerer!" Seriously! You carry a wealth of harmonica
knowledge and experience unequaled in any other person I know of. Every
time a "new" idea comes along, you "been dere, done dat!" Write it down,
old buddy. Get credit where credit is due!

Michelle"

I'm not all fired up on getting credit. But I DO believe I came up with country tuning. I just got home from the gig but I'm too wired up to sleep, so here goes.

Here's the deal. Back in the mid 50s I started playing chromo. The first thing I noticed is that the slides stuck. The second thing was the wind saver problem(s). I no longer worry about the slides but am always searching for the best wind saver. Even though lately, I haven't had a problem there either. In the past 55 years, I have tried a lot of things. It wasn't because I was looking for a bid for recognition. It was a matter of economics. I always had the impression that when you bought a chromo, you were stuck with it. I was a teenie bopper and didn't have funds. Then when I DID have funds, I already knew what I was doing. :)

Ergo, I have made reeds from brass lipstick cases, shell casings, electrical contact points, razor blades, etc. I have made rivets from paper clips, high heel shoe tap nails, springs from #2 safety pins, I jewel the slides, have shaved reeds. I may not be a master craftsman but ALL my chromos work. I recently got rid of 3 or 4 diatonics simply because they were over 16 years old and looked whipped. I gave 3 to Dave Payne..for parts. One went into the river.

I have run into a giant dillema. Before GSHC, I had 8 chromos. ALL in good playing condition. I now have 12 after bringing home 4 with minor problems. They are now (also) in good shape. My problem is that since my chromos always work, I have NO spare reeds. If I were to NEED a reed change, I wouldn't be able to do it. That's what kind of shape MY stuff is in. So instead of sending the chromo away, I would probably MAKE a reed.

No drawers full of 'beaters'. A couple weeks ago, I wrote about a job that I did putting a bushing IN a rivet hole and subsequently mounting a new reed INTO that bushing. It works fine now. Would anyone else go to the trouble? That was my last low reed.

6 or 7 of us would go to Gerri Muradian's home on Tuesday evenings to play arraingements. I would get there a coupe hours early and we would work on chromos. I not only learned some stuff Jerry (Murad), he learned some stuff from me too. But I went to my first spah in 1991 and I was either Herb Eck's room mate OR Jerry's friend. That's what I was. Mr Cellophane. I made no fuss. I still don't. I don't glom my way in if I feel I'm not welcome.

As for a book. I waited too long. AND I don't have a REP. You need a rep. So, I'll just remain Mr. Cellophane. One day I was talking to Richard Farrell about mounting reeds on studs and cap nuts and told him I was using inserts. He mentioned Blackie's book. I went and bought it. There was nothing in there that I didn't know. So it was nice to see that all I had been doing was good stuff. It's a decent book. Someone else mention the late great Doug Tate's book. For aforementioned reason I didn't buy it. But I DID look at a friend's copy. I found it a wealth of info. Most of which was over kill, but still a great book.

Michelle, I'm not sure if you're the one who coined the 'McGyver' name for SmoJoe...but whoever it was nailed it. And in reference to your points above, you're so right. He's never satisfied with what other people do...is always looking for new and different methods to try something, or other ways to turn a problem upside down just to look at it askew and anew. I'm surprised he has time to play the darn things <G>

As a matter of fact Elizabeth, I was trying out some new material tonight that I have been working on for my upcoming 10 day cruise in February. I did a rendition of Killer Joe that even YOU would have liked. It was 'Killah' lol

Like you, I've learned so much hanging around him...from his wild imagination and ability to make something from nearly nothing. It's become a wee bit of a contest now...to see just what ordinary household objects we can find to turn into 'harmonica related' tools. It's all such fun and too cool, and he really SHOULD write a book. I second the motion :)

Here's a wee tip of my own, haha: used mascara wands. Soak 'em for a while in a paper cup with dishwasher detergent. Keep replacing the water and soap, then scrub lightly with an old toothbrush and soak again until the wand/brush (with its attached handle) has no traces of mascara left. Then run through the dishwasher for the final cleaning. I have several now (we women are supposed to replace our mascaras every few months, anyway).

They make perfect cleaning brushes to get into mouthpiece holes. Some narrow to points, some come with already curved tips but even the straight ones can be gently curved if need be. Just be careful not to allow them to be caught between reed and reedplate..slow and careful is the way to use them but they make a perfect cleaning tool for any type of harmonica.

Elizabeth