Re: [Harp-L] Re: using a metronome

On Jan 3, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Ken Deifik wrote:

By the way, I mentioned Al Jackson, the Stax drummer, in the previous post. Stax music was typically behind-the-beat music, but if everyone played behind the beat all the time, the music would've slowed down noticeably in the 2:30 of a record. Jackson solved this problem by playing the ONE of every eighth bar dead on on top of the beat. This kept the beat kosher all the way through. Clever, no?

Okay, here is my point of confusion: If everyone played behind the beat all the time, wouldn't the "behind-beats" (if you will) *become* the beat, such that the piece would have ended one behind-the-beat's-worth of time later, but not an accumulated piece's worth of behind-the-beats later?

How is playing ahead of the beat or behind the beat to be distinguished from sloppy rhythm playing? I mean, it's obvious from the discussion that it's something way better and cooler than sloppy playing (I/he/she/they MEANT to do that!), but how does that work?

I feel like my brain is missing a beat.

Elizabeth