Re: [Harp-L] Kalamazoo vs. Gibson Skylark

There are a few different circuits in Skylarks over the years, the one I have is almost indentical to a tweed champ. I know there is one with an EL84 power tube like a zoo. If there's one that does have the same tubes line up as a kalamazoo, Greg Heuman @ blowsmeaway.com would be able to tell you if the circuit is the same, he knows the kalamazoo's very well, I understand. James
----- Original Message ----- From: "46long Blake" <46long@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Scott Hicks" <dscotthicks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Kalamazoo vs. Gibson Skylark

I'm not an electronics guy, either, but let me offer a more organic
response. I tried a Skylark and a Kalamazoo in the same vintage shop on the
same day - and I'd never tried either before. I'd never heard of a Kalamazoo
but I had heard good things about the Skylark. In my opinion, for my
playing, the Kalamazoo blew al the other amps away that day (except maybe a
'53 Deluxe). The Deluxe was $1000, and the Kalamazoo was $90, and, so,
confused, I bought nothing. That was a mistake, in my opinion.

No, I cannot account for the difference in sound, from an electronics
standpoint.