Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the Blues - Check This Out

Hey Bob,

Thanks for posting this!

I think the discussion is healthy on this topic and we are picking up some great ideas, of course a lot of what we say is subjective but still a lot can be learned for each individual trying to attain a certain 'Sound' good to THEIR ears,-)

What I LOVE about Cotton is that he is a TBer that doesn't use a Bullet Mic. To my ears it gets too dark and UNdynamic and after 2 or 3 songs all the color of our instrument is gone. If you really spent time to listen to the old masters....you hear the true sound of the harp not a total 'masked' tone..

I totally disagree that embouchures of TB, or Pucker have any bearing on Rich Deep resonant TONE, IMO, that tone is formed further back before it even gets to the front of your tongue, mouth and lips. But, it's how you 'seal' the front that effects the final part of the tone released in the front.

I split all my time on Diatonic between TB & Pucker about 50-50.
I'm sure there are players like Sugar Blue that can play fast w/ TB, but I feel you have find a compromise as to 'how much' of the harp you want to EAT...too far back or too far front have their limitations and effects on sound and speed

I do not equate 'Darkness' with Fat, Rich & Deep Tone, that is something very different to my ears.

Rich Tone is James Cotton, Kim Wilson, Toots Thielemans and Paul Butterfield & Charlie Musselwhite, Both Walters to name just a few.

I like what Dennis G does with his Bullet, he WORKS IT and knows how to use cupping which allows the Bullet to bring back the dynamic range and colors, his tone is Rich as well.

My favorite Rig for Tone is an SM-57 or 58 thru a Fender 1 or 2 x12. I can get all the dirt and crunch I want by cupping styles and it allows for clean when I wish. For Chromatic Jazz I like a Fireball or Sm58.

Overblows, I'm still learning a fluency on which I haven't attained but I believe it IS a technique Valid, Viable in all styles and genres and here to stay.

my 2 cents,
Rob Paparozzi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Cohen" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>