From: Jonathan Ross <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: February 15, 2010 6:13:41 AM PST
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Pucker tone

Ev630 writes:

"Doesn't
matter the genre, the point is that you can't get the same bassy tone when
doing lots of that lip pursing and whistling through the harp, so you need
effects."

I think that is a fairly blanket statement with no real support. There have been plenty of people who get the traditional tone puckering over the years (I'm not sure, is Butter's tone tradition, bassy or fat? I can think of a lot of people here who would say yes to all three). I think it's noteworthy that Jerry Portnoy in fact teaches pucker for the first three holes and tongue-block from there up in his great "Masterclass" CDs. I think it's a fairly safe assumption that this is the technique he uses, and I hear no significant change in tone between his pucker playing and his tb playing.

Now, can you play very fast stuff and have the same type of tone is another question. Sugar Blue has a tone more similar to someone like Ricci's, IMO, and he tongue blocks (showing that you can play fast and tongue block).

I would argue it's a difference in playing technique (fast and high verses slow and low) and not a difference in embouchure.