De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la part
de Bob Cohen
Envoyé : lundi 15 février 2010 03:07
À : harp-l harp-l
Objet : Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues - check this out

On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Ev630 wrote:

> matter the genre, the point is that you can't get the same bassy tone when
> doing lots of that lip pursing and whistling through the harp, so you need
> effects.

I respectfully disagree. Jason has amazing tone even when playing
acoustically.  And borrowing from my own experience, I recently switched
from 100% tongue blocking to 90 % pucker. My tone improved vastly.  Of
course, I did change a few other things.  What I noticed was that full round
notes came more from what was happening beyond the point of contact with the
harp. Indeed, it was paying attention the other stuff that made the
difference.  So, now both my tb and pucker playing is fatter than ever. And,
after a years long struggle, which included failing the Chris Michalek
patented Sholin Straw technique while playing on one of his equally famous
harmonica, I nailed overblows, and not just the six hole: all the other ones
too.

This observation was reinforced most recently while attending the Sunday
drum circle at Siesta Key, FL last month. Didn't have a drum, didn't want to
get left out so I whipped out a low F harp.  I chugged for an hour and a
half straight.  As time went on, I stopped thinking and just breathed
through the instrument.  My rhythm playing became effortless and my
embouchure opened wider than ever.  My tone was fatter than I imagined
possible--especially on those two draw bends.

Best,

Bob