[Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues-check this out

On Feb 14, 2010, at 12:01 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:38:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues - check this out
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Bill Newton wrote:
<Jason's pedals include a thing that doubles notes that are maybe 3 octaves
<below the harp notes.

Richard replied:
I very much doubt Jason's going that low. As I understand it, Jason uses a Micro POG, and a quick check on this device's specs shows that it will double the original pitch one octave down and/or one octave up, so three octaves down isn't possible. Even a full-blown POG wouldn't do it--that device does mixes of one octave down, one octave up, and two octaves up.

I own the newer POG 2. It has 2 octaves down and 2 octaves up plus several other options to color your tone. You can preset it to 8 settings. I've loaded 5 "organ" tones that vary from Catherdal to Jazz B3 setting to a lighter upper mid register organ sound. The others have a mix of harp with organ like undertones. I left 2 setting blank for future ideas. Since I grew up with Hammond organs in the house I wanted very exacting organ sounds in the effect. The POG 2 runs into a Rotosim Leslie simulator then to Hard Wire brand reverb pedal.

As a practical matter, whatever the device allows you to do, 2 octaves down is about as far as you want to go (and as far down as any pedal I've ever used will take you). In fact, it's too far in many situations. If we figure that an amped harp is putting out a lot of energy around 500hZ-1 kHz (also known as the low midrange), dropping that an octave would be 250-500 hz, and two octaves would be 125-250 hZ. In that range, the harmonica is already playing tones that potentially conflict with the bass, meaning that the band as a whole will lack clarity and punch in the bass register. Drop it another octave and the harp is right on top of the kick drum's frequency range (62-125 hZ), meaning that the harp will conflict with the kick drum, the beat itself is going to get messy, and the harp's actual pitch will be hard to hear. Most harp players would be surprised to hear how much power they can put into the sound just by doubling the pitch one octave down.

If we are talking about the Micro-POG then it does have it's limits with tweaking to get an organ tone or even a sub octave tone. The POG 2 gives you more freedom to tweak for a professional sounding effect. I generally hate pedals but if I'm going to use them then they better enhance rather then conflict with my tone or sound. I own 4 pedals and a processor. I probably gave away or sold 15 others and fried a Digitech by accident.

I don't know if I can fully agree with your last paragraph above. It would give reason not to have organ trios. An organ with 2 keyboards and a bass pedal would pretty much cover most frequencies of the other instruments. I think the volume level at those frequencies would cancel out the other instruments but not the mere fact that they reside in or near those frequencies. I can understand what you are saying though. I had a heck of a time trying to tell the difference between my harp and the pedal steel player in a country band I was in. Our fill notes clashed so bad I didn't know who was playing what.
I gave in and let him play all the fills.

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com