Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Koch Chromatic unvalved harmonica

You are indeed right about how leaky this harmonica is. The Hohner
SlideHarp is the same model but is half-valved. This means that it is NOT leaky but
exactly the same. The Koch is the older model and if it has any advantages
I've yet to discover them.

I have owned a Koch chromatic in C and G and SlideHarp in C and G for many
years.

For those who are unaware of this type of harmonica, it is a "richter
chromatic." It has the same layout with the bending notes on the first 1-6 (skip
5) holes and blow bends. However, because it is half-valved it allows the
player to blow bend holes 1-4 & 6 in the same way that solo tuned (standard)
chromatics can be bent.

What half-valving means is that you can blow bend hole 1 and get a B, blow
bend hole 2 and get an Eb. Most people can get a half-step bend on these low
holes using the same technique used to blow bend   holes 8 9 10.

The Slide Harp and the Koch are now available only in the key of C.

Now that that the Slide Harp is available there is really no reason to play
a leaky Koch.

Some people are under the misinformation that the half-valves (windsavers
on the draw reeds etc) PREVENT the bending of notes in the standard fashion.
This is not true. It actually makes it easier because the harmonica is more
air tight.

Other advantages of the richter chromatic (the original chromatic) include
no double-Cs making octaves easier to play. The once disadvantage is there
is the A note in the first octave despite the lever that raises all notes a
half step. To get the A in the first octave requires a bend.

Over the years people have been confused over this layout because they hear
the word "chromatic" and   expect it to be like the standard solo tuned
chromatic with its double Cs.

For people who already are familiar with the standard blue harp (richter
layout) this is an easy transition to an instrument that will provide
chromatic unbent notes for "melodic" songs that do not sound "right" with a bent
note tossed in among the standard notes.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd