[Harp-L] Jam etiquette- Winslow, Barrett & Aebersold

  Big Steve wrote:
  << I just can't believe someone would behave that
  way to a total stranger. I
  have gotten called up at jams... >>

  It is a jam- a risk we all take. You did the right
  thing by keeping your calm and the audience lauded
  you for that [I am hoping]. I go to several open
  mics and open jams. They are all different. When it
  is my turn and I see new faces I set the ground
  rules upfront. Everyone is OK with that [i.e. until
  the next time].

  At David Barrett's Masterclass, there is an entire
  demo and published section on jamming etiquette.
  Winslow's book [Harmonica for Dummies] runs a
  section -"Taking your music to the world" and
  Aebersold's Jazz publications devote an entire
  section on when not to play, how much to play, when
  to come in etc.

  Well you, I and many others see different degrees of
  turbulence on stage with unknown players all the
  time- part of jamming what Barrett talks about is
  the "end product" and how the harmonica can add to
  it [to make it better] especially in lieu of a horn
  section. Most guitar players think it is all about
  them. But if they find that all the chugging along
  you do is enhancing the song, you get your solos
  right away. It is still not up to them to decide
  what you can do with the harmonica, I think. A
  little ego goes a long way.

  I am sure you know all of the ranting. Just my
  $0.02.

  Venky

www.myspace.com/harpdad