Re: [Harp-L] Re: Tweed amp request

----- Original Message ----- Tweed amp request

Will you mic the amp routinely for stage and house volume?  If so, a
5F2A may work with a five piece band and careful attention to the
PA.   If you don't plan to mic, you need a pretty loud amp- 5E7
Bandmaster size as a minimum, best would be a 5F6A Bassman style amp.

I agree...All the above. 5F6A is regarded as the Tweed standard for blues harp amps.

If you can get your hands on a real 5E7 3x10. MMMMMMMM!

If you're not too devoted to tweed covering and vintage vibe of the 5F6A, &c

The Super Reverb ain't no slouch when it comes to tone and projection. I put a vintage 12AU7 in V1 of mine. I use the non-reverb channel for harp and the Trem channel for guitar. Plenty loud for 35-40 watts. Mine's a '68-'69 AA270 with the bias circuit restored and several Cap values to BF '65. Did that in '72. Finally put a 3-wire plug on it about 10 years ago. Everything else is completely original including speakers. Fantastic amp. Honestly.

There was a guy down here a couple months ago selling a similar amp on Craigslist. Not pretty to look at but insane tone. He listed twice, dropping price the second time and somebody got a great amp for little bux. And personally I wouldn't bother restoring it's cosmetics. Just play it ugly!

Oh, by the way. The Peavey Royal 8 - 5Watt Class A amp Musician's Friend was pushing out at Christmas time - That thing is an absolute monster. Best $99.95 I have spent in decades. Also swaped V1 for vintage valve 12AZ7 with a little less gain to make it more harp friendly. I'm not even going to worry about a speaker swap. Sounds great out of the box.

Splash!