Re: [Harp-L] Red Herrings

Why is it a style? If I play a guitar and do chromatic notes it's not a style? It's just technique

Overbends are a technique. Playing any music on any instrument is a style.

Mostly when people talk about playing "chromatic diatonic" or vice- versa it is actually a very specific style of music being discussed: jazz, usually with a fairly strong fusion influence. There are people who use overbends to attempt this, and others who mostly focus on alternate tunings (often specifically designed to avoid overbends). The merits of all approaches (or the entire exercise) is what I suggested as fertile ground for a discussion. Indeed, it has been discussed in detail as the archives show quite well.

NB--there are other music forms which involve a lot of chromaticism which are occasionally tried on the diatonic in the same manner, but this represents a fairly small percentage of players.

JR Ross