[Harp-L] Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo amp

I have a version 1 Epiphone Valve Jr combo amp. I've had it for several
years, it cost $119 at a local music store.   Epiphone made several changes
and revisions on the original design, creating the version 2.  I liked my
version 1, and use it for practices and gigs in small venues with harp and
octave mandolin. Once or twice it was miked into the PA to keep up with the
keyboard, electric guitar, drummer and vocals. Recently I purchased the
Alnicomagnet mod package for the Valve Jr. combo version 1, on EBAY, and now
I *LOVE* this amp.  It sounds wonderful; a real night and day improvement! I
have some soldering experience from making amateur radio kits, and a friend
to call for help if necessary who works on electronics professionally if I
got in over my head, so I took on this project myself. When I did have a
question about the directions, I emailed  and received a clear thoughtful
email reply almost immediately. I've never worked on a printed circuit board
before, or had experience with de-soldering tools, and had no problems.  The
mod kit came with all necessary parts and components clearly labeled, great
photos, complete instructions, a lot of helpful background information on
amps and tubes and the thought process behind the changes.

The mods:
1. Got rid of the hum and noise, period. The hum was previously always
present, now it is gone.
2. Added a switch which changes the amp from 5 watts to about 2 watts by
converting the 12ax7 preamp tube from a pentode to a triode. The
pentode/triode mode switch modification offers an elegant approach to
lowering the amp's output from 5 watts to 2 watts. This power reduction
provides power tube-saturation distortion at lower volumes. You can turn it
up for the rich tube saturated sound with all the harmonics and overtones
etc. without all the volume; great for practicing at home.
3. Added a line out jack which takes its signal from the output transformer,
rather than from the preamp output, so your line-out can get true power tube
distortion.  No more miking the amp, just plug into the PA.
4. Added a standby switch which lets the amp warm up, protecting and adding
a longer life to the tubes
5. Added a fuse to protect the final transformer
6. Provided  the components to modify the  voicing/tone of the amp. Four
different amp tone possibilities came with this mod kit for you to choose
from with good descriptions, explanations , and directions for each.  I
chose the 'Clean American Voicing' which is a vintage Fender sound.

  The stock speaker  is actually a Ted Weber Ceramic Signature 8, one that
is  often used as a replacement speaker in vintage Fender Champs. Once the
circuit has been improved with this great mod kit the stock speaker comes to
life and is probably as good a choice as any other 8" speaker you might
install.

I can't say enough about how great this amp sounds now.  The musicians  I
play with are consummate professionals, real tone masters, and they all
agree.

Rich