Re: [Harp-L] we need help

Roger Diamond wrote:
<I'm Jude. I live in Haiti and I need your help. I lost all my music equipment in the <earthquake. more than one hundred harps I used for children in poor districts of <Port-au-Prince to fight drug by music. If you could help me for the replacement of <this stock of lost harps, you would give a chance to young survivors to escape the <plague drug represent. Please send your gifts (preferably harps instead of money). <Wee need professionnal harps like Suzuki, Howner, Seydel, Lee Oskar, diatonic or <chromatic ones, with preference for C, A, B, D, E or G. My adress : Yves Jude Denis, <3, rue Fougeres, Delmas 67, Port-au-Prince, HaÃti HT6120

With due respect, and with consideration for the thousands of people injured, killed, or otherwise harmed by this catastrophe, can you please provide references that will show that this is a legitimate request from a legitimate charity?

As I'm sure you know, in the wake of a tragedy criminals often pose as relief agencies in order to divert well-intentioned contributions from those wishing to help.  Verification of your organization's bona fides will help ensure that any contributions go to the people who need them.

Finally, are you sure that harmonicas are what the survivors need most right now?  I was under the impression that basic necessities such as food, medical supplies, clothing, and shelter are in critically short supply in Haiti.  Perhaps it would be better for Americans to donate those rather than musical instruments, at least for the next few weeks or months?

Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter