Re: [Harp-L] RE: Vocal Mic

"Hellerman, Steven" wrote:
<Thanks, Richard. I will make those adjustments next time I play through a PA.
<
<Question: Would you reccommend the same for playing through an amp, in general? With both my Fender <Deluxe and Fender Reverb, I always turn the treble way down to around 2, and turn the bass up to <around 8. Is this also overkill on the bass?

The question is: what frequencies are you emphasizing when you turn that bass knob up?  I checked Fender's site to see what frequencies the bass knob is affecting, but I didn't see any info there.

I can figure out two ways to get the answer without documentation from Fender, one easier than the other:

1) The harder way: Record the sound of the amp with the bass knob set to zero, then again with the bass knob set to 10. Run the recordings through a frequency analyzer--you can find one for free on the Internet, I'm sure--and see how changing the knob setting changed the frequency content.

2)  The easy way: Turn the bass knob up and play a duet with your bass player.  If both instruments are coming through clearly you can stop worrying about it.

What you want to avoid is having the harp sound great when it's playing by itself, and like mud when it's playing with the bass.

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick