Re: [Harp-L] Re: small class A amps never get sag

Class A amps do sag, small single ended amps (which can only be class A because
there is no other end of the OT to take over on the OOP swing) will sound
different with differing rectifiers. This is simply because differing rectifiers
have different internal resistances, what ever current is required still must
pass through the rectifier, if the current cannot rise (it usually can because
one tube doesn't always draw the max current from the PT, two tubes can & create
more sag) then the plate voltage will drop or "sag". There's no free ride.

The assertion that Class A amps don't sag is taken from Randall Aiken's paper on
"Class A amps - the final word". This paper was not written concerning single
ended, entry level guitar amps specifically (which are usually biased nearer to
cut-off than saturation anyway, not ideal class A @ halfway between the 2). It
is aimed at push-pull amps primarily & even states that the SF Champ that is,
biased to class A is unusual (plus it has a negative feedback loop & a cathode
bypass cap, which true class A does not require) Aiken says, "current in a true
class A amp is constant, therefore there is no bias shift, unless the amp is
driven into clipping, in which case all bets are off"....this is the bit that
people fail to take on board, Aiken is referring to an amp operating in true
class A (not  Class A biased closer to cut off, nor a class AB amp just not
pushed) operating within its clean W RMS rating...not where SE amps used for
harp usually operate.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Another one of those myths repeated
enough becomes the truth.

A good sounding SE/PP/Class A/Class AB amp may have a tube rectifier, a Weber CC
or SS diodes only.