Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:15:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] copper
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:
<I would never make a statement even after my testing that everyone
<should use a copper can.

In the end, it's all about what the stuff sounds like, isn't it? The fact is that there are a lot of ways to sound good now, because there are a lot of different definitions of "good," and there are a lot of technologies available to help the player that didn't exist 50 years ago.

There will be more, too. The Chicago style of amped harp has had a great run, and it's not over. But we're in a different century now. The battle over non-standard tunings for harp is basically over--non-standard tunings are here to stay, and are in fact gaining ground. The battle over non-traditional ways to make the harp sound big, loud, and colorful is still raging.

The ones who benefit the most are the players. Lots of great choices for gear now, and at historically low prices. If you want to sound good, you can. Of course, you've got to learn to play first...

But like I said at the beginning of this post: in the end it's about what the stuff sounds like. I categorically reject any claim that there is only one technology, or one brand or model of gear, or one component, that can make a harp player sound good. As Steve Baker pointed out to me at SPAH 2010, if a player sounds good without an amp, the odds are that the same player is going to sound good no matter what amp they're playing through. (The only thing I know for sure sucks is a Bullet mic direct through the PA. Yuck.)

Regards, Richard Hunter