Re: [Harp-L] SS Rectifier
- To: Harp- L <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SS Rectifier
- From: Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:02:16 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=/cBsI2bsX7FuGcyZXikd+NTCkStl4mjJYBBMNwr4NXc=; b=GrvaEvvAJnNcoAoGm+AmyJxF5g3v9JyYagJ8DNTEiNkbvcsL0xR5Ic3dR9JZ9ToS+m XxxOB01bUgXEI4uDTL4WShesvGfMedv1vdGVcTJKHVgf7hRCVFEkbAoR/Zcj+ZBNqmfY +rbgk3eonT1iAM98Vt7rmLC3hSYNpb3myD9QU=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=FJGaXXCwtfKc/N60wLZNUwjQurVJQiPa9JELcaajndPZoTlzLxcEtC50TubAQeC4cs d0fjJlV0MUDaenlgujQ7lRy/dWtxvUjedwm1Wg6nHKIP6MZHggk0hx6j2djOt8dp0g3U nn02x9e8sA25eEdPphtuP6zzj1x/F4TpVInMQ=
- In-reply-to: <COL121-W3659DA8E3A1689AF3F2F4CE8100@phx.gbl>
- References: <COL121-W3659DA8E3A1689AF3F2F4CE8100@phx.gbl>
None of those amps you listed uses the copper plug-in solid state rectifier,
which is the specific topic of our discussion.
Almost all great harp amps use real tube rectifiers to get that signature
sag: The tweed Bassman, the big amps from Harpgear, Meteor and Sonny Jr.,
and most others. The reason for that is to retain a certain lovely
"tubiness." The copper solid state rectifier did not sound as good as a
real tube rectifier in the Misssion Chicago 32-20 amp.
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM, THOMAS FIACCO <mx714@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rick Davis states: "The
> rectifier tube is one of the tone generating components in a vintage tube
> harp amp, and solid state just doesn’t cut it."
> The brown Fender Bandmaster and the Brown Vibrolux,two great amps for
> guitar and harp both came from the
> factory with SS rectifiers. If solid state did not cut it,Leo would not
> have used it. I think it depends on the amp,
> but you surely can't state the Brown Vibro and Bandmaster don't have great
> The HarpKing also uses a SS rectifier,and it is one of the most versatile
> amps out there.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and