From: chicago bluesman <chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harrpoe@xxxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, August 31, 2010 12:41:33 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Small practise amps

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on ebay for a Kalamazoo model 1 or model
2.  With luck you can successfully win a bid with an investment of $200-250.
They vary in the asking price--right now I see two of them on ebay with a
buy-it-now price of ~$200, but there are a couple of others with an asking price
of $400.  The cosmetics of the amp don't matter with a Kalamazoo--it's ok to get
one with a beat up cabinet so long as the seller can assure you of mostly
original parts, a functional speaker and no seriously funky hums or buzzes.
Then send the amp to Greg Heumann (www.blowsmeaway.com) for tweaking.  Have him
install a line-out jack.  If you continue to develop as a player you'll likely
outgrow a little pignose before too long but the Kalamazoo can be a prized harp
amp indefinitely and the line-out jack lets you sit in with bands with ease.
I've got two of 'em and while they don't see much action I know them to be
reliable little tone monsters.