To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:34 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Embarrassing tone question

I sat in with a band tonight that wants me to play with them formally.  In
talking with the band leader, he commented on really like a typical amped
harmonica tone.  Specifically mentioning the sound of a bullet and tweed
amp.

The music isn't "blues". I can't really describe it well, but a lot of it
is minor chords with jazz changes - would easily be classified as rock. My
role would vary from playing Chicago type harp to using the harp to be a
background vocalist, keyboard, horn, etc.

So if I wanted to get a raunchy sound (right now I am using an Ultimate 57
into a HarpGear HG50), would it make more sense to look at a different mic
or amp for this gig?  What about a pedal like the Lone Wolf stuff?

I know that technique is a huge part of this...I did a lot of tongue
blocking tonight,tight cupping, and used the 57 right into the board.
Therefore, please do not take the discussion down that road as I know what I
can do and work on in that area.

Also, I am just thinking ahead to what the band leader would want as a
formal member of the band. I am in now way in a rush to drop money on
gear. If it works out, I'd like to invest some gig money into having an
appropriate rig for this specific group, as my needs are typically a cleaner
rig that takes pedals.

Thanks!
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica