Re: [Harp-L] A surprising Hohner Silver Star

On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:41 AM, Pat Powers wrote:

I dunno -- I've blown out many high-F's.

Bingo, you just hit on MY pet peeve. I have NEVER.....EVER.... had a good hi F harp. In all my years of playing, I think I blew out 6-7 harps and 5? have been Fs. I don't know what the dichotomy or disconnect is, but it's almost a twilight zone issue.

I think it depends on what kinds of songs your playing with your E-harp. If you're playing staright forward 1st position country/ classical (in Emaj) or 3rd/5th positon minor scales (F#m/Abm) and not overblowing much, the harp will last a lot longer than if your bending the sh_t out of the reeds playing second-position blues (in Bmaj).

You got it. I'm mostly in 2nd and I DO bend a lot of draw notes. I also bend down some blow notes and it seems that THESE are the ones that go.
5 & 6 blow and 4 & 5 draw. Once I do 2 repairs, and am ready for a 3rd., the harps go to Dave Payne for parts.

On other words, the life of the instrument depends on the work load demand.

My guess is your not beating the crap out of that E-harp as much as your other keys. I play mostly blues and don;t use my E-harp very much, and therefore it lasts a lot longer than the other keys.

Right again, in 2nd, an E would equate to B and almost nothing is IN B (unless you modulate). The only time I seem to need it is when I play a tune requiring 2 or 3 harps, and the E fits the bridge at the time. Or sometimes I only need it for a few notes, (Tragedy/As Time Goes By). But my Eb gets MONSTROUS usage and I never wrecked one. Same for the D. Now the Db is cavallo of another hue. I have already tossed 1 a couple years ago, and am about to toss another. Then the C & B are ok, but the Bb goes. It's like it's every THIRD harp. Strange.

I trash mostly D, A, and F-harps, in that order. Obviously, most of the songs are second-position blues in A, E, and C, respectively.

With me it's F & Db, for tunes in C and BRIDGES in Ab.

My 2 cents,

patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx