RE: [Harp-L] FW: Hohner response to Pat Powers post

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the confusion.  The Pro-50 was a totally different product
form somebody else.  I meant to rant about your MS-series (Cross Harp,
Big River Harp, Pro Harp, Blues Harp). I had just played a gig with a
blues Harp and pulled a mustache hair with it while I was playing, which
hurt like hell, and then I  had to finish the song with a freaking
mustache hair sticking out of it. I just don't understand why you would
want the sharp edge of a reed plate sticking out like that.

Can you or anybody on this list educate me on the purpose on this
design?
Anybody care to voice their opinion of the reed plate design???

I forget who I emailed me from Hohner 2 or 3 years ago, but it may have
been you, because I got the same "released to critical acclaim" pitch.
I don't know where you got your data, but I haven't met anyone who likes
the reed plates sticking out in the front.  It's hard to get an airtight
seal between holes, and it's not comfortable to play, either.  If it's
any consolation, Suzuki copied your design for his replaceable reed
plates too.  Lee Oskar is the only one I know of that offers replacement
reed plates for a wrap-around comb design.

Thanks for clarifying about the price increase, the other hike must have
been before 2006.  I used to be able to get a Special-20 for around $20
in the early-to-mid-2000's, and now they're over $30.  I believe that
would be a more like 33%, so I apologize if I said you doubled your
prices - That would be wrong.

The Hohner special 20 pro pack retails for $85.99, which is still almost
$30/each, and you can only get them in the same 3 key package (C,G,A).
I usually carry 12-20 keys around with me, and I don't think I've ever
blown out a G-harp.

On a more positive note, I think your Special-20's are my favorite
harmonica for blues, but you do not offer reed plates for them, and
they're not cheap to just toss and replace anymore either. They can be
shaved and re-worked a little when they go flat but once the metal at
the base of the reed fatigues they're done.

HOW ABOUT OFFERING AFFORDABLE REED PLATES FOR THE SPECIAL 20????

If you did that, I would play nothing but Special-20's and praise your
name from the highest mountain.  And, I mean affordable, too.  Not 95%
of the price of a new harp either. Think about it.

  0+
  \_/

 Thanks and Best Regards,

    Pat Powers