Re: [Harp-L] A surprising Hohner Silver Star

On Aug 27, 2010, at 8:16 AM, martin oldsberg wrote:

Gosh, so it´s that simple!

Lol, well I DID make it over simplified.

Thank you, Joe, and I´m blushing in a becoming manner. With a few minutes of concentrated brain work I ought to have been able to come up with this hypothesis myself -- but why exert oneself?

Oh Pshaaaaw, things have a way of coming to us on their own. You would have seen it eventually. When I see a reed, I see a miniature diving board. If one were to make the board longer or shorter, that has an effect. Thicker or thinner also has an effect. Width has less but it's there. Light or heavy divers also have an effect. The old wood boards were much better. The ash gave a springiness that the aluminum just doesn't have. BUT they're only good for 4 1/2 to 5 years. Everything good has a tradeoff.

Imagine taking a power saw and cutting a kerf 1/16" deep (1.5mm) UNDER the board. Then imagine the same kerf on TOP of the board. Different failure rates? Sure. Would the ruler I spoke of have holes or slots in it, that's also a factor. Material/alloy? Also a factor. It seems that ANY modification is a factor.

Any slashes across a reed are factors. I used to buff out all the scratches. It turned out to be an unnecessary amount of work for questionable returns. PLUS, when you do this, you have the effect of making the reeds more like a cheaper harp. In a word..thinner. You wind up with a more responsive harp by way of thinning the reeds, BUT, you also loose integrity. If the alloy isn't above suspicion and has any defects in it, the reed will fail sooner than it ordinarily would have. The manufacturers have already worked this out and what we have now is a series of tradeoffs.

So Eb is the breaking point?

Actually, from my limited experience, I find that I have the best luck with diatonics in the key of Bb and above, up to about E. They seem to be in my bending range. Lower keys are hard for me to bend and have some 'jet' lag, whereas the higher harps seem stiff. Probably due to the reeds being so short (therefore 'comparitively' strong. Long thin objects have different oscillations than short ones.

Interestingly, I have a Huang Bac-Pac harp in D that almost has held up as well as that little bugger in E ... -- but I understand the general principle.

Where it shows is in organs. I worked on a Wurlitzer ( and some accordions) where every reed was a different width. But since they were all in their own individual reed blocks, this was possible from an expense standpoint. This isn't a good idea with harmonicas because as you shrink the sizes of the reeds, they aren't capable of taking as much stress. Organs and accordions have pressure reliefs built in as a stop gap. A harp doesn't and a player could quickly blow out a reed that was too tiny.

smo-joe

thanks again,
says,
Martin,
who´s in a hurry downtown to buy a couple of more Silver Stars in high keys, since there´s a bit of a sale! on them.

From: joe leone <>

On Aug 26, 2010, at 5:34 PM, martin oldsberg wrote:

> The Silver Star is not one of Hohner´s top of the line products,
> and that is reflected in it´s price, but I´ve been surprised by one
> thing:
>   Normally if I buy a C or A harp they´re pretty much goners after
> a few days, but there is one Silver Star in E that just keeps
> hanging on -- and we´re talking years of hard labour here.
>   What could be the reason for this?

Eb and higher =....shorter stronger (comparitively) reeds

>   One would assume that the difference, in metallurgical terms, ain
> ´t that great between a C and an E -- or?

If you take a lucite plastic ruler, hang it over the edge of a table
and twang it while exposing more and more over the edge, after
exposing more and more ruler, it can break. Turtle, tortoise,
terrapin? same thing.

>   I´ve abused this one to an unlikely extent and it still shows no
> sign of giving up; hasn´t even needed a tuning. The key of A Silver
> Star that I bought the other week is now, by way of comparison,
> irredeemably lost, and sounded crap form the outset.
>    Is it so that the Silver Stars started out as great harps and
> then declined, and it was just my luck that I got this one from the
> right early batch?

The A has weighted tips on the low end. Add fishing sinker to the
ruler tip. = quicker failure.