Re: [Harp-L] Problem with a Super Chromonica

Sean said:
<<
I've got a Hohner Super Chromonica that I inherited from my father; it
still
plays nicely, with one exception: all of the notes on the 7 hole  bleed...on
7 blow I can hear the sharp note bleeding in; all of them behave  the same.

I've inspected the harmonica closely, and I note that the comb  is split all
the way from the front to the back

Yes... This is the bane of the pear wood comb,  that the "270" is  built
with.
I have encountered this problem with quite a few harmonicas over the years.
 The combs mostly split when the instrument travels from a humid to a dry
place....

Two ways it can be fixed, the comb can be repaired, or it can replaced
with a comb made from an alternate material (such as plexiglass). I would send
it for repair to a harp tech who fixes chromatic harmonicas. The problem is
hard  to fix oneself, because of the way the "270" is nailed together!

Best wishes,
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines