Re: [Harp-L] vibrato vs. tremolo 2

The definitions and examples that I offered are consistent with published authority and have merit because they are neither instrument-dependent nor ambiguous.  Sloppy usage in the past, even if traditional, should not condemn us to sloppy usage in the future.  Without a "single, overarching way of using the terms 'tremolo' and 'vibrato' ", the confusion addressed in this thread continues, our musical language is less clear, and Dekker's question arises again and again.

As an example;  for half of my life, "inflammable" meant "able to burn".  However, clarity won over tradition when we started using "flammable" and discarded "inflammable" entirely.

Whether or not email etiquette permits us to correct mis-uses of the terms is a separate matter.

We can have a similar discussion about "glissando" and "portamento".   ;o)

Vern