[Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Memories

I got two hours worth of private harmonetta lessons from Bob Herndon.
Wow.  Great player, great guy.  I got hip to the cheek only, no lungs
or diaphragm playing of James Conway.  Like circular breathing he
sometimes sniffs thru his nose but I do not think it is a necessary
component for shorter lengths of playing.  Clarification, James?  In
any case, right now I cannot really do it, but I will get drinking
straws and get to work.  Learned a cool Ronnie Shellist rhythm.  Got a
great handout on some jazz blues chromatic from David Naditch that I
want to explore deeper.    Filsiko showed me how he holds the low
corner of his harp in the crook of the first knuckle past where the
left index finger extends from the hand.  Not sure I want to pursue
that one, but I learned about it.
Those were the info that was new to me.

Enjoyed teaching the prejam, the welcome to SPAH seminar, the ii V I
seminar but was really excited when Joe Filisko approved my teach in
table concerning chromatic blues.  The players came early and stayed
the whole time and I feel like we had a great time and accomplished a
lot.  I hope to do more teachins in the future.

Enjoyed the shows, especially Susan Sauter, Andy Just, Steve Baker's
reggae tune and his tone when sitting in with Just, Rob P's vocals!

Loved the blues jams, didn't really spend too much time in other jams.
 Great players on all levels.

Loved seeing my friends again and I feel like the list gets bigger each year.

Got a Astatic Bullet from Chris Richards, just played it thru my 59
Bassman Reissue for the first time!  WOW!  I love it!  Got Harmonica
Einstein's tuner, the Jazz Summit DVD, Charles Spranklin's CD, David
Naditch's free 1/2 a CD, raffle won a BIg SIx from Seydel.

All in all, another great year.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com