Re: [Harp-L] vibrato vs. tremolo

Referring to the Harvard Dictionary of Music:

Tremolo is "the quick reiteration of the same note"

Vibrato is "a slight fluctuation of pitch"

I think that it is clear that tremolo is a large, rapid variation in loudness like playing the same short note repeatedly.  Vibrato is a slight, rapid variation of pitch within the same, usually long, note.

In the harmonica, vibrato changes of pitch are often accompanied by slight changes of loudness but that doesn't make it tremolo because it occurs within the same note.

When I think of tremolo, I think of long notes on plucked strings as on a mandolin or balalaika. A famous tremolo piece for the guitar is "Recuerdos de la Alhambra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jDRRmLoqiE

When I think of vibrato, I think of a violinist wiggling his finger on a long note.   To hear perfect vibrato on a harmonica, listen to Bonfiglio play a slow classical piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJy9uwxhmE&p=49796FA1671E39CE&playnext=1&index=16

Vern