Re: [Harp-L] ultrasuede valve material

On Aug 17, 2010, at 8:13 PM, enzyme rich wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in trying ultrasuede as a valve material for my Lee Oskar
circular tuned valved diatonic harmonicas.
For blues in second position I use the circular tuning but flatten the 5
draw a semi tone to get the flatted 7th.

Does anybody know where to get ultrasuede in the states?

Upholstery/Drapery shops. Minnesota fabrics no longer carries it except in the very big stores.

Any retail stores or mail order places?

Check your local yellow pages for the above.

Which thickness is best for diatonics?

About as thick as a credit card.

Which glue?

Several. It needs to stick to the brasss. The material is absorbent and can take a number of glues. (I use thickened nail polish).

Which wax for the reed plate?

Johnson's, Bruce, floor waxes. Simonize paste wax. Any high quality carnuba wax. Boot wax is fine.

Anyone know any better material to use than ultrasuede?

I have tried many things over the years. Ultra suede works best. (Tip: starch/stiffen the stuff). I use boat bimini cover sealer.

Thanks for any info!

Rich
San Isidro, Costa Rica

How close to Puerto Limon? I just spent a few days there.

Joe Scungili and the Calamari brothers.