From: "Bill Kumpe" <bkumpe@xxxxxxx>
To: "Pat Powers" <patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:38:42 AM
Subject: RE: Re: [Harp-L] "Mojo" on an instrument

In "Mojo Red's" defense, I think I probably should define some terms. There
are a lot of players who have what is popularly known as "Mojo," a
combination of talent, skill, personality and force of will that allows them
to project their emotion through their music and into a crowd. I can name
dozens of harp players who have that. And, it is a rare gift.

But occasionally, you run across a player who has something else. They may
carry a "mojo bag" or a "gris gris" or whatever on their person or in their
bag. That's what I was talking about along with those rare occasions when
somebody picks up a used instrument and feels the power or presence of the
previous owners as he plays it. That's not just stagecraft and that is what
I was asking about. I'm asking because I am planning a writing project
concerning the spiritual influences on the blues and blues musicians one of
these days when I have the time to write again.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK