[Harp-L] Re: Altered reed shapes

> The spectrographs of all the harmonica reeds I studied while conducting
research for Hohner showed what appears to be a low signal to noise ratio;
that is, the amplitude of the dissonant overtones was very low compared to
that of the consonant overtones.  The amplitude of the dissonant overtones
only increased significantly when the harmonica reed was blown loud enough
to start distorting.  I believe that what makes harmonica reeds sound thin
and reedy is the relatively high amplitude of the upper partials, or
consonant overtones, and not so much that of the dissonant overtones.

Some aspects of reed design that can influence the strength of the upper
partials compared to the 1st partial, or fundamental tone, are: 1. Reed
thickness (especially the thickness of the reed at its edge) - a thin reed
will have stronger upper partials than a thick reed.  2. Reed dimensions - a
narrow reed will have stronger upper partials than a wide reed.  3. Reed
plate thickness - a thin reed plate will produce stronger upper partials
than a thick reed plate.  English-made concertina reed shoes are undercut to
create the effect of a thin reed plate, giving these instruments their
characteristic reedy tone.

I believe that what is at least as influential as the reed to the tone of an
instrument is that of the instrument design and construction.  For example,
clarinet accordion reeds in cassotto are identical to those in the same
instrument that are not in cassotto, yet the tone of cassotto reeds is
significantly warmer and rounder than those not in cassotto.  This is
because the cassotto tone chamber shifts energy from the upper partials to
the fundamental, making the fundamental actually louder than that of the
same reed not in cassotto.  While playing a harmonica note into a microphone
to produce spectrograph, I found that going from an uncupped note to a
cupped note caused the amplitude of the upper partials to decrease and that
of the fundamental partial to increase, just like an accordion's tone
chamber.  Similarly, the reeds of an XB-40 are identical to those of a
chromatic yet, due mainly to the XB-40's internal valve chamber, the XB-40
produces more of the fundamental tone and less of the upper partials than a
chromatic, giving it a warmer, rounder and loud, but less bright tone.

Italian accordions might be characterized as having a warm, pure and round
tone compared to German accordions, which tend to be more bright.  Here are
some possible reasons: 1. Italian reeds tend to be thicker and stiffer than
German reeds (this need not affect response, as stiff reeds can be given
less offset than more flexible reeds).  2. Italian cabinets are generally
thicker and heavier than German cabinets, and can absorb more of the upper
partials.  Likewise, Italian reed blocks may be heavier than German reed
blocks, having the same effect.  3. Italian accordions more often use
leather reed valves and German accordions usually use PVC reed valves.  The
heavier, softer, rough-surfaced leather valves absorb more upper partials
than the thin, reflective PVC valves.  Lastly, 2-voice tremolo tuning on
German accordions is usually faster than the standard 2-voice, Violin tuning
common to Italian accordions.  This also helps to give German accordions a
brighter tone compared to the more pure tone of Italian accordions.

Some harmonicas can be overly bright, especially harmonicas that have been
customized for maximum performance.  But in general, most players might
prefer a somewhat bright instrument, where there is a greater possible range
of tonality by means of hand cupping.  A bright harmonica can be made warmer
and more fundamental in tone by means of cupping, but less can be done while
playing to make a harmonica with a predominantly mid-range tone more bright
sounding.

Rick