  From: Dr. Michael J. Marino, DC
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:59 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] RE: Altered reed shapes

  Good points and thoughts folks,

  Now I need to point out a few points though.

  Most Accordion reeds in the range of the harmonica are single rivet
  reeds (I just double checked some I have in the shop for making
  concertinas), these are Voci Armoniche, typo a mano and Cagnoni typo a
  mano reed sets. Only the lower reeds I can not sound with my
  mouth. The Air button on an accordion or a concertina serves a
  couple of different purposes. They range from filling or emptying
  the bellows for a diatonic type of instrument so the desired reed can
  be played. With chromatic instruments the ability to close or open
  the instrument with out sounding a note. Opening bellows without
  either a note depressed or the air valve open damages the valve covers
  (pallets/spoons depending on instrument), the bellows, and any
  gaskets/seals on the instrument. As air will get in or out depending
  on direction of force. Though I don't see the mechanics for damage
  to the reeds via the avenue.

  That set aside, as it is not really the subject of interest, my
  interest is in finding a "cleaner" sounding reed. By cleaner I mean a
  tone response that is sharp and clear in the desired note and lacking
  as much as possible unwanted secondary enharmonic tones. There are
  desired tones and it is interesting that the reed form used on
  accordion reeds seems to re-enforce those as well. Both Hohner ans
  Seydel have shown that steel reeds can be produced that will respond
  to the amount of force that a person can produce to cause a reed to
  sound. What i am looking at is how to bring a bit more of a clean
  exact sound to the reed.

  I know that not everyone will consider this a good thing. My interest
  is first finding out what the reed shape would most likely be that
  would work and than letting folks see if it is a pleasing sound. I am
  doing this as a personal research while not working on clients
  instruments, so I can take my time and try a few different option to
  see what is best.

  So to all thanks for what input you have already given and please
  feel free to discuss further it makes me think and look at options in
  the design structure to work toward an optimum.

  Michael