Re: [Harp-L] Altering reed slots

Ok, I wasn't picturing it, but now I am. Not your fault. I just couldn't see it.

On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:18 PM, Vern wrote:

Boy, I (Vern) really had trouble making myself clear on how to shorten a slot. My choice of words apparently left much to be desired!

"When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight filler/adhesive (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that the glue does not work well with alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts[citation needed]. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft. Note that the reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat producing) and also produces noxious vapors."

Vern

Ok, here I was referring to chemicals that make the glue micro fizz while setting up. (like soda pop), such as: pour in place resins.
YOU are referring to fillers. I now understand what you mean. This is something like a micro version of using 'micro balloons' to thicken out carbon fiber resins. I have also used talc as a filler, but your baking soda sounds boss.