Re: [Harp-L] Staring a number "naked"

Bill Kumpe wrote:

A while back, a pro player that I really respect suggested that when playing
with a band or accompanist you have not practiced with it is better on some
numbers to ask them to let you play a few bars "naked" with no accompaniment
and then let them come in as they catch the groove.  Every time I have tried
this it has not worked out well.  I really like this sound when this is done
right and the guy I got the tip from pulls it off flawlessly every time.
Does anybody else do this? Suggestions? Comments?

At first I was going to simply observe that better players will catch your groove more satisfyingly than newer players.

But thinking back on the problem as I've experienced it with tremendous players and moderately skilled players, it's clear to me that the onus is really on the groove-setter, you or me for instance, to make intentions clear. It's a skill, like any other, one you learn through trial and error.

So if you find that you're not getting the groove you think you're setting, and the players aren't newbies, then it's worth working with someone you respect to figure out exactly how to clearly express the grooves you want when you're working with strangers.

My best error: I played a live radio show in Phenix City, AL (correct spelling, by the way) where I got no preparation, and a band of young un's. I asked them if they knew Iko Iko, got a blank look, and bravely said "Follow me."

The result sucked bigtime, and it was my fault. And it was on radio. Yeesh.