[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 84, Issue 9

Michael Rubin contributes a wonderfully understandable treatise on minor scales:
Deb,
There are many minor scales.  Each one has creates a sad or dark
feeling when played.  Some sound more middle eastern than others.
Each type of minor scale creates a slightly different take on feeling
sad or dark.<major clippage>

Michael, thank you once again for sharing your deep insights and knowledge of practical aspects of playing music.

You have a real gift for translating complex musical principles in a way that even a music theory idiot like me can understand. Much like Winslow, you carry an encyclopedic knowledge of music especially geared for harmonica players. I think you should write another book, "Harmonica-centric Music Theory For The Rest of Us," or "A Handbook For Playing Harmonica In A Band -- Correctly." It would complement Winslow's excellent tome with a slightly different "bent."

Why not formalize all the hard work you've put into acquiring your expansive body of knowledge and share it more widely with folks who could really use it? That would benefit you as well as those of us who seek to escape the category of "harmonica hackers." I think it would be unfortunate to restrict the availability of such knowledge to your group of private students and a few gems -- like this post -- here and there on Harp-L. It's more valuable than that.

Good on ya and thanks again.

Michelle

PS: Congratulations on your recent addition!

PPS: See you at SPAH!